Thanks to a recent trip with a group of young professionals in the hospitality industry, I have learned a new acronym, FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out). The fear of missing out is discussed mostly among the younger generations. However, if we are truly honest with ourselves, we all suffer from this fear. We are all afraid of missing out on the party, dinner, game, concert and the fun that everyone will enjoy. In today’s world of social media…we are often reminded instantly that we are missing out.
What does this have to do with your career in the meeting and event planning industry? Imagine if you were part of an organization that had people lining up to be a part of it. Imagine if you were in a career that everyone wanted to consider. Imagine if people were telling others and creating a buzz that ‘you have to be a part of this profession or organization’. It can be accomplished because the fear of missing out already exists; we just need to find the right organization and be a part of an environment that will engage this feeling in us. My top five thoughts for creating FOMO in your hospitality career are:
- Establish your ‘why’- why are you in this industry (it needs to be more powerful than a job- what is your career enabling you to do)
- Affiliate with a recognized name in your industry
- Be able to offer full service solutions to your customers
- Affiliate with an organization that offers the training, resources and ongoing support to help you achieve your goals
- Be a part of an opportunity that creates financial freedom and wealth (wealth is defined as the freedom and ability to choose what to do with your time and your money)
Are you currently in an opportunity that creates FOMO? If not, I challenge you to find what you are afraid of missing out on.