Recently, an industry professional joined my team coming from another meeting and event planning company. As we discussed this opportunity and as he weighed his options, I was struck by two takeaways from this process:
1. It is important to align with the right organization that is the perfect fit for you. As your needs and goals change, it may be necessary to change your affiliation to ensure success both personally and professionally.
2. Make sure you properly manage your most valuable resource, time, to ensure you achieve your career objectives.
Let me focus on the second point, time. His decision to join us reminded me of the need we all have for a work/life balance that still enables us to achieve our dreams. As my Business Coach, Angie Segal, shared with me; “Time is the one resource we cannot get more of. If we lose money, we can always make more, but if we waste time we cannot get it back.”
I have a few thoughts on how to make sure you are focused on using your time effectively to achieve your professional goals:
- Align yourself with the right organization that meets your specific needs.
- Determine your big dreams for the future and the goals you need to pursue along the way.
- Have energy, passion and put forth the effort needed to achieve your goals.
- Be confident that nothing will stand in your way and commit to staying positive and picking yourself up when you fall short of your goals.
- Make the right (and often hard decisions) that will best enable you to reach your desired destination.
Often times, we get caught up in being ‘busy’ and forget our dreams and the goals we have for our life. Make sure you are part of an organization that supports your goals and enables the time to do the activities that will help you achieve your dreams.
Are you where you want to be with your life both personally and professionally?